Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Arthur Benjamin's talk: Exploring the Hidden Magic of Math

Last night I attended Arthur Benjamin's lecture circuit promoting his new book: The Magic of Math: Solving for x and figuring out why.


Walking up to town hall:



Oh wait - math is stuck in the basement again: (The noble prize for literature is totally overrated)



Once in the space it was great to see a full room out on a Monday night for a math talk. This is one of the reasons I love living in Seattle.



It turns out the talk was sponsored by my arch nemesis: Xeno  They still are totally whomping me on google showing up at least 2 pages earlier if you search for "math club blog" despite not even being a blog.  All kidding aside they're a great organization which I haven't had much of chance to interact with in person yet.

The talk itself was a lot of fun. I brought my son and the material was very accessible. There was a bit of warm up mental math tricks for doing squares, two fairly length sections going into Triangle numbers (see my take from last year: http://mymathclub.blogspot.com/2015/02/triangle-number-exercise.html) and  Fibonacci sequences. None of the subjects were particularly new to me but Arthur Benjamin was very entertaining and some of the development paths look like fertile ground..



For instance, I really liked his presentation of how to develop squaring tricks.  One of my favorite quotes: "And who doesn't love squaring a sequence of numbers?" So I plan to  read the book and do a full review some time in the future at which time I expect I will find some ideas to leverage for the math club on a close reading.

Updates

The teacher strike looks like it is coming to close and kids have started signing up for the club. Hopefully I'll have a roster in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment