Wednesday, June 15, 2016

6/14 End of the Year


And so we reached the end of another year.  I wanted to celebrate a bit for the last day so I ordered a supermarket cake and we had a small party in the cafeteria prior to starting. I read bad math jokes from the book in the picture while the kids were eating that they mostly tolerated.



I started the club off with a survey around the room to see which activities the kids liked.  Although a lot of the things we did were mentioned no clear favorite emerged this time around which either means I picked a good medley of tasks or nothing was quite as awesome as the fold and cut  day from earlier this year.

We then talked about the problem of the week: "What is the smallest whole number that has a remainder of 1 when divided by 4, a remainder of 1 when divided by 3, and a remainder of 2 when divided by 5?"  This one was very approachable. When calling on the kids, I again framed everything in the context of "show us what strategy you used" I then asked some followup questions along the lines of if I changed the numbers how would you change your strategy. For example what if the remainder when divided by 4 was 3?  I haven't yet done a formal modular arithmetic themed day but I think based on this and a few other problems that it would work out fairly well.

Finally, after seeing another glowing review of the moview flatland I decided to end the year with a movie day rather than a game day.  Flatland works really well because its only about 35 minutes so we could watch the whole film and have time for a small discussion at the end about the fourth dimension.

As you can see from the first picture I received a few cards and gifts from the kids which was also very touching.  I'm fairly confident I'll have the opportunity to work with many of them again next year and it will be really interesting to watch their growth over another year.

One Last Smile:  a few kids asked me if their was a problem of the week even though it was our last session. Maybe I should have come up with a monster "Problem of the Summer".

No comments:

Post a Comment