Tuesday, June 13, 2017

6/13 And its a wrap



I was really heartened after sending an email out last week that all of the kids made it to Math Club today despite the transportation difficulties posed by a class field trip. Since this was the last session for the year I planned a mostly celebratory day.

First up there was a Math Club cake I ordered from the supermarket.  One unexpected hitch, on examination there were almonds in the cake ingredients. Fortunately I had brought some candy to give out for anyone with a dairy allergy that I also used for those who were allergic to nuts.  I'm still not convinced where the almonds were hidden but I'll be more careful before ordering next time.

We then went upstairs for the rest of the afternoon. I gave a quick speech thanking everyone for their hard work and then went around to survey what the kids liked this time. There was no overwhelming favorite unlike last year. Beside food which is always popular, the kids mentioned the Rational Tangles from last week, Pascal's triangle, some of the videos, Attack of the Clones, etc.  Overall, I think I executed pretty well on my goal of trying lots of different things to draw the different kids in.

Today I brought the projector in so I could show the following video:


Its incredibly cool and  I've been waiting to show this since by happy coincidence this tied into 3 of the topics we explored this quarter:


After that was done we finished with a game day as is traditional. I brought in my normal assortment of board games as well as one printed grid logic puzzle since these have been a great hit.

I was struck at the end at how smoothly the day went. (Granted I completely stacked the deck) Kids went excitedly from games to the puzzle and organically interacted with each other. I'm also really happy with classroom culture that had developed.




No comments:

Post a Comment